Giving Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Why does Railroad Park Foundation ask for donations?
A: Railroad Park is a public-private partnership, owned by the City of Birmingham and operated by Railroad Park Foundation, a small 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. The City of Birmingham provides basic operations and security, along with annual financial support. Railroad Park Foundation requests donations from private donors to develop new and exciting innovations for the Park, such as events and programming. Donations also help facilitate many of our existing amenities, such as free Wi-Fi throughout Railroad Park. In summary, your donations enable us to welcome and delight more than half a million visitors a year!
Q: What will my gift support?
A: Your gift may be used in any number of ways! Your generous donations help provide the following:
- Events large and small, ranging from birthday parties to large public concerts, such as the annual "Symphony in the Summer" event
- Programming focused on Health & Wellness, Family & Community, and Economic Development
- A green oasis in the heart of downtown
- Outdoor playground and gym equipment for all
- A place of beauty and respite for families of patients in nearby medical facilities
- Award winning standards of horticultural excellent which garner international praise and acclaim
- Flowing lakes, ponds, streams and Rain for the enjoyment of visitors and our aquatic friends
- Vibrancy in the City Center
- More than two miles of beautiful walking trails and paths
- Equipping the Park with Doggie Waste Stations for dog owners to easily clean up pet pollution
- Generating positive PR for our Birmingham region
- The http://www.railroadpark.org website, which offers great information about upcoming events, reservation information, Café hours, Park history, flora and fauna, nearby attractions, and more
- Free Wi-Fi throughout the Park
- New and innovative ideas to make Railroad Park an even greater place for all to enjoy!
Q: Is my gift tax deductible?
A: Yes, the Railroad Park Foundation is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization and all donations are tax deductible to the extent provided by law.
Q: What is the difference between Becoming a Member and Giving a Donation?
A: When you give a one-time donation, you will receive the appropriate tax information and a big thank you! One-time donors do not receive any additional perks.
When you become a Railroad Park member, you will receive annual benefits based on your membership level. You receive special perks, including a member sticker and recognition in our e-newsletter. Also, when you become a member, you help Railroad Park Foundation leverage gifts from corporate foundations. Corporate foundations value strong community support for an organization. For more information about the different membership levels and benefits, click here.
Q: Why is it important to give?
A: Providing financial support to non-profits is not only beneficial to the recipient, but it also has benefits for the donor. When a person invests in something they believe in, they feel a sense of purpose in helping an organization work towards its goals. Donors feel a greater sense of community and involvement when giving financially, and they set an example of selflessness to those around them. Donations can also be used for tax deductions. Besides, it just feels good to give!
Q: How do I find out more about giving to Railroad Park?
A: For more information about supporting Railroad Park, visit our website at http://www.railroadpark.org/support.html, call (205) 521-9933, or visit our office at 1600 1st Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35233.